Sunday, February 11, 2018

Weekly Wrap-up: Flu Haze.

Usually when I sit down to write these posts, I have an idea of the things I want to write about, and then I stick to that list. This week is not like that. I can't think of anything of substance to write about, mainly because I have been in my bed for nearly 3.5 days straight either sleeping or sleepily watching Netflix.

On Monday, we had a snow day, which was the nest thing ever after the events of last weekend. On Tuesday, I felt exhausted all day and ended up taking a 2 hour nap on the couch when I got home from work. When I woke up, I felt terrible-still exhausted, aching all over, and that feeling in the back of my throat that signals I'm going to get sick. I guess I wasn't surprised. When I get overworked and don't sleep enough, I inevitably get a cold. But this felt different.

I went to bed super early and got up for work Wednesday in a complete fog. I took my temp and didn't have one, but I just felt off in a non-cold way. I struggled through the day and took Motrin at lunch after noting I had a small fever. After school I had a training I couldn't skip, but as I sat there, I just felt worse and worse. I headed back to my classroom and prepped for a sub on Thursday, just in case (best decision ever). After leaving my sub plans on my desk, I left work at 5:15 and headed straight to the clinic.

At that point, I had massive chills and my body aches were unreal. They were out of the instant flu tests, so they did the 24 hour test and prescribed me flu meds to start in the meantime. Since I'm a teacher and immuno-compromised, they didn't want to take any chances. I got my meds and headed up and immediately put in for a sub and jumped into bed. I shivered under our normal bedding and three blankets until the middle of the night when I woke up drenched in sweat. It was terrible.

I proceeded to stay in bed unless I was showering or needed the bathroom until this morning. And while I often say I would love to stay in bed for days to read and watch TV, it was not wholly enjoyable. I feel weak and still sick-my throat is super swollen which makes talking and swallowing difficult. I don't have a fever (haven't since Friday), but I feel achy and tired and like I could sleep for days. I'm grateful we had another snow day on Friday (we got a foot of snow), so I didn't have to use another sick day, and while I think I should stay home tomorrow, I don't think I will. Since I was out the week prior (for a field trip), I feel guilty about taking the time. We'll see how I feel in the morning....just in case.

With all of that going on, I didn't read much. I couldn't focus on a book Thursday and most of Friday, and I finally managed to finish Where Angels Fear to Tread by Forster last night. And I'm pretty sure I would have enjoyed it more had I not been all sick and whiny.

I'm actually not sure what I'm going to read next. I should really start Ulysses for the readalong I'm "participating" in, but I am not up for that today. I need something fast paced and addicting. Any suggestions?

That's all I've got for this week-just too exhausted to write more. I hope you all had a great week!

3 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear you've been ill! I hope you're on the upswing, Allie! <3

    * I need something fast paced and addicting. Any suggestions? *

    Invictus by Ryan Graudin. It's a YA time travel featuring an eighteen-year-old hero whose mother was a time traveler from the 2354 AD, & whose father was a gladiator from Ancient Rome. EXTREMELY fun. The kid is trying to get a place in a prestigious time-traveling school. The only other option is becoming a history thief -- go to places in history (like the sinking of the Titanic) and steal relics from history that won't be missed, for museums. The plot? I can't tell you without spoiling but it involves time and ripples through time and other such things. I RECOMMEND IT. GREAT sicky day read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you got a snow day today so you can really recuperate. I'm sorry you've felt terrible - I hate when I feel bad enough that I can't focus on a book.

    I've been terrified of getting the flu this season. Like, I dreamed about it last night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has been a terrible season for the flu. My HR director has it and has been telling everyone just how awful it is - and she received a flu shot. I was just saying how two days of a niggling headache has me paranoid right now. Take it easy and give yourself plenty of time to recover. There is no need to overdo things and relapse!

    ReplyDelete