Sunday, September 30, 2012

Weekly Wrap-up for September 30, 2012: The End of September.

Hi everyone!

I am writing to you on this lovely Sunday morning from the comfort of my couch. A cup of English breakfast tea is still brewing on the coffee table in front of me, and there is a darling black cat snuggled up against my side. He was a little annoyed when I moved him off my lap, but I think he's okay with his new position now. :)

It is kind of hard to believe that the end of September is here.  The first month of school flew by. I have been so absorbed in everything going on with school, that I've been in a bit of a bubble. I wake up, teach, come home, plan, and attempt to fit sleep and food in there somewhere. I do feel like I am slowing down a bit-getting back into the teaching grind and finding a balance with all my responsibilities. I'm hoping this means October will a more lively month on the blog, and that I'll be able to write about the first 5 Harry Potter titles at some point. I still haven't picked up book 6 (besides putting it on my nightstand).

There are lots of lovely books I do want to read this month. I think I might even dive back into some classics (I have been on a YA kick recently and have all but thrown my lists of classics out the window). How about I list the titles on my pile, and you all tell me what to start first? I like that idea! :)

  1. The Turn of the Screw by Henry James: I started this a couple weeks ago, but I set it aside.
  2. The Mysteries of Udolpho by Ann Radcliffe: I am planning to read this for a readalong (with O!).
  3. The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins: I really loved The Woman in White, so this might be a fun choice.
  4. The Monk by Matthew Lewis: I just got a new Penguin English Library Edition of this one, so it's calling my name as well. 
I hope you all had a great month. I am off to drink my tea, cuddle with this cat, and then grade some assignments until Matt wakes up. :)

Have a lovely week!

15 comments:

  1. I'm told that Wilkie Collins is the perfect choice for October, the month leading up to Halloween! I'm planning to read The Woman in White for the first time...perhaps the Moonstone would also be a fun fall read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely "The Moonstone"! It's far more gripping than "The Woman in White", you'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Monk and The Moonstone are both absolutely fantabulous books! You can't go wrong with either one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Moonstone is great, you should start with that!
    Glad work is slowing up a bit - September is always such a busy month but October is usually better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Turn of the Screw makes a perfect Halloween reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It takes time to adjust to the educational world. Especially when you're prepping with new coursework. As someone who has weathered many new curriculum, I know the exhaustion you are feeling! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to try to read Mysteries of Udolpho too! I meant to comment on a post of yours before, that I really want to read 1776 after reading that post. Thank you for making me aware of that book :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a great list of classics. I have both Mysteries of Udolpho and Moonstone on my list, but haven't read them yet. Amanda of Dead White Guys read The Monk recently and really enjoyed it. It seems you can't go wrong with whichever title you pick.

    Glad you're settling into a teaching routine. Though I can't think of a better way to spend a Sunday morning than drinking tea and cuddling with a cat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm hoping to pick up The Monk soon so if you want a reading buddy for it, let me know! I've been meaning to read it for years and everyone loves it. The Moonstone is awesome too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think The Moonstone is perfect for October reading- the right mix of spookiness and humour! The Turn of the Screw is also incredibly creepy, so... either of those sounds good :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, definitely the Moonstone. You need something a little spooky so close to All Hallow's Eve :) I think I am going to re-read it. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved the Mysteries of Udolpho. I didn't think I would care for it going in, but it's awesome! It's a surprisingly fast read too. I'm going to try to read the Moonstone this month or this fall at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've read "The Moonstone" and loved it. It's easier going than "The Woman in White." I just finished "Daisy Miller" and read the first few pages of "The Turn of the Screw" so that's the one that's on my list for October.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Monk is the smallest volume in your list, I think, which means you can strike that one off your list soon enough ;) (Also, I'm planning to read it this month for Jeanlp/Howling Frog's Gothic Festival *hint hint*)

    Great list :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It’s really a great and useful piece of information. I am satisfied that you
    shared this helpful information with us. Cara Terbaik untuk Menyembuhkan Sesak Nafas Obat Infeksi Lambung Herbal
    Please keep us informed like this. Thank you for sharing.
    Obat Kanker Esofagus Obat Kanker Kulit Alami Obat Limfoma

    ReplyDelete