Sunday, January 15, 2012

Weekly Wrap-up for January 15, 2012: In Florida and the Halfway Point.

Hey guys!

I am writing to you from the table in our hotel room in lovely Orlando, Florida. It is actually Saturday night, but I am going to schedule to post this in the morning. I'm a little tired from two days in the car, so I want to take advantage of the fact that I can sleep in tomorrow. :)

Our drive down was pretty uneventful. We left Michigan bright and early on Friday morning. We drove for about 12 hours and decided to call it a night. We grabbed a hotel just into the Georgia border and slept till about 7 this morning. After a yummy breakfast, it was time to hop BACK into the car for another 8 hour drive. Blegh. But, we made it safe and sound this afternoon.

Tomorrow we're going to hang out around the hotel, see a couple movies, and go grocery shopping for Torrie (my sister). She has to check-in and move-in on Monday morning, so I'm sure tomorrow will be low-key and relaxed. The only other set plans we have for the week is for Tuesday. We're going to head to Epcot and "drink around the world." :D It should be a good time! Expect some lovely tweets and pictures.


I'm glad to be out of Michigan for awhile. Truth be told, I was in a bit of a rut at home, so being out of the house is a good change. I think that having this kind of space from all the negativity in Michigan will be good for me and perhaps I'll get over some of that depression.

Enough of that...let's celebrate for a moment, shall we?

Earlier today, the final post went up for The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton, book 125 off my list. This is a huge milestone...

I am halfway done with my reading project! On one hand, I think to myself that I should be nearing the end by now! But on the other...well, I am pretty proud of what I have accomplished so far.

When I set out to read all of these titles, I don't think I knew what I was getting myself into. I didn't know anything about the book blogging community. I thought the only people who would read my lowly little blog would be my family (mainly my mom-she still reads-Hi Mom!). I never thought I would be here. I never thought people would care enough about my reading process to check in on me and read my thoughts. I am amazed every time someone comments, someone sends me an e-mail, or recommends a book to me.

I'm also in awe of the fact that I have developed so many meaningful relationships with some of you. Like I said, I thought only my family would read my blog, so knowing that there are many of you who read and care? Amazing. Thank you all for all of your support!

I also didn't think that I would be still going. I've never stuck with something so long. I'm pretty proud of how far I've come.

And I know I have a long way to go...125ish (I've read a couple since then) books to go. I am sure that I will learn even more about myself and who I want to be. And while I'm not positive yet, I know that I am learning more and more about the person I need to be. Sometimes I wonder where I would be if I hadn't started this...who I would be. And I am grateful that I set this goal for myself and I am carrying through on what I planned. It shows my growth. It shows that I am learning.

Here's to another 125!

12 comments:

  1. Sometimes getting away really, really helps! I hope this gets you out of your rut. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on reaching the half way mark, and it sounds like being away is going to be a positive experience for you.

    Enjoy your break :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Drinking around the world is both TREMENDOUSLY fun and CRAZY-dangerous. :) I've only done it once. And I don't think I even made it, having giving up with a couple of countries left.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a big proponent (and fan) of vacations whether mini or super. Time away is necessary.

    And congrats on how well you are doing on your project. I'm really glad you started blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheers to your breathtaking project (congrats on the halfway point!)! I love reading your blog every day, Allie, and you are inspiring me to tackle more classics and get back to those reading "roots." Enjoy your time in Florida. I cannot think of ANYTHING better than drinking around the world at Epcot. :DDD

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on passing the half-way point! Your project is very inspirational, and definitely is making me consider picking up more classics.
    --Rayna

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't know that you were in Michigan, generally! So am I! I'm in Ann Arbor, if that is anywhere near you :-)

    And yay for halfway!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very best wishes and congratulations to you, Allie, on #125! That's a huge milestone.

    Something I love about your blogging style is that you say things like "I've never stuck with anything this long" and "I feel like I'm changing." You speak at a level that draws people in. I really appreciate that about you, because you made me feel "I" could do this, when I first met you -- and I'm most definitely happy we are friends.

    Sending happy winter thoughts to you in Florida! I hope you have an awesome time. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you have perfect timing Allie, escaping the first real burst of winter up north to vacation in Florida! I hope it's just the kick you need to get out of your rut.

    Congratulations on reaching (passing) the half-way point of your project! It's been a real joy to read your posts and follow along through all these books. Here's to another great 125!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Allie! Thank you for coming with us to Florida. I love spoiling my children, even more so now that they are older and we can have fun going around the world together ;). I love your blog and so proud of you. You are an inspiration to me. Life always holds curves, just hang in there. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations for reaching this milestone. It really is a huge deal. I've been reading your blog for months (in fact, it was one of the two that inspired mine) and it's been wonderful to, in a way, share this experience with you.
    Here's to a wonderful another 125!

    ReplyDelete
  12. congrats on your progress. So sorry I'm so late to the congrats party....

    ReplyDelete