Thursday, January 12, 2012

Vacation Reads.

I am such a procrastinator. I am due to be at my parents' house in another hour or so. And while I have my clothes packed, I am struggling with what to pack in regards to reading material (as you might recall, I am driving to Florida and back to take my sister down to Disney, where she will be interning for the semester).

I am a habitual overpacker. When we were in Orlando this summer, I packed enough clothes for two and half weeks. We were there a week. I always feel like I MIGHT need something, so I pack it. At least this time we are driving, so space isn't too limited. I did try and cut down on my clothing options, but now I am struggling with the thought of packing books.

Here are the Shakespeare titles I am bringing:
  • Twelfth Night (I am over halfway through it and will probably finish before bed tonight, but it has to come with)
  • Richard III
  • Henry IV Part 1
  • Henry IV Part 2
  • Othello
  • The Merchant of Venice
  • King Lear
  • A Midsummer Night's Dream
  • Hamlet 
Considering the amount of time we'll be in the car and that we won't be doing too much on Sunday, I can probably finish all of those by then. I will need reading material for the rest of the week (by the pool) and for the long ride back home. So I need bigger titles as well. Here is what I am thinking:
  • David Copperfield by Dickens
  • Nicholas Nickleby by Dickens
  • War and Peace by Tolstoy
Now, that might seem like a lot, but I am not planning on reading all of those! I want to chug through some War and Peace for the readalong (I have to finish it by the end of June, but I haven't started yet), and the Dickens is for February. I'll also be reading The Fault in Our Stars by John Green, which my lovely mother picked up for me the other day. :)

And while I'll also have Homer, my NookColor, with me, I feel like I am going to run out of things to read! Silly? YES.

So, question...when you go on vacation, how much do you bring to read? What kinds of things come with you?

And can you think of anything else I should bring with me? or do you think I am just plain crazy? :)

20 comments:

  1. I prefer to bring light stuff with me for vacation reads. But that's just me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always bring at least twice as many books as I get to, and while some of the books are lighter reads, I usually have some classics as well. In other words, it sounds like you're bringing just the right amount of books! (Although, I would probably limit myself to one Dickens.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually bring some light fiction to read on vacation. And magazines. I *love* magazines. I'm very excited to bring my nook on vacation with me this year - there's no way I'd be reading Les Mis on vacation otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and I meant to also say, have a great vacation and safe travels! Hopefully you can avoid the worst of the snow that's coming! (And why do I keep getting an OpenID error all of a sudden??? Stupid internet...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ^Amanda: I was goofing around with the settings earlier since Blogger now allows threaded comments. But once I saw that the pop-up would be gone, I disabled it. Maybe I messed up somewhere? I'll take a look.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad that I'm not the only person who over packs everything, especially books. I usually take six paper books with me for a week long trip, plus at least 20 books on my ereader, who doesn't have a name but should have one... I need to work on that!

    I don't have particular types of books I like to take with me on trips. It's whatever looks like I'll possibly want to read it within the next week or so.

    Safe travels and enjoy your reading time by the pool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a huge under-packing problem, at least in regards to clothes. I also always forget half my toiletries. Of course, I bring twice the amount of books I'll need (makes total sense, right?). I've started relying heavily on my Kindle when I travel, but always bring at least one paperback for security blanket purposes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm an over-packer, too...both clothes and books. I like to have options.

    ReplyDelete
  9. For me it never balances out... either I pack a lot of books and don't get to any of them or only a few and zip through them. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never obsess about clothes but i can understand the book stress :) now that i have an e-reader i barely stress. Have a great trip

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness. For both Thanksgiving and Christmas, I think I brought ten books with me -- "just in case." I too am an overpacker. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, and have a great time, Allie!! We'll miss you. :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic goods from you, man. Ive study your stuff ahead of and youre just as well amazing. I enjoy what youve got right here, adore what youre stating and the way you say it. You make it entertaining and you even now manage to help keep it wise. I cant wait to go through additional from you. That is really an incredible weblog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am the same! On honeymoon I just took my kindle but I spent a fortune loading it with many books that I didn't end up having time to read :P

    Hope you enjoy your holiday, Allie.

    ReplyDelete
  15. For vacation I only bring my ereader. I like to bring very little with me, and a light ereader is just perfect. I have more than a 1000 books on it, so I have an entire library at my fingertips with endless choices.

    Have a great time in Florida! I sure could use a getaway to a warm place right about now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bahaha, you sound like me. I think that with a list like that you should have plenty to read. I can't wait to "reward" myself with The Fault in Our Stars this weekend too. Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I always bring tons of books with me. Just the thought of running out of books to read makes me want to cry.

    Can I make a suggestion? I know you already own copies of Nicholas Nickleby and David Copperfield, but I would recommend looking if you can find a free copies of them to download on your Nook to save you a little space in your suitcase. I did that when I was reading David Copperfield. When I was on the road, I read it on my Kindle, and when I was at home, I generally preferred to read my hard copy.

    Also, if you're worried about running out you can always find a additional free classics that are on your reading list to put on your Nook just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I pack everything I need and then I let myself fill the rest of space with books or other things I want. Then I tell myself that there is no way I can take more and that all I'm doing is taking advantage of space and stopping things sliding around.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I bring a lot of books when I go on vacation and I come back with even more! Since my hometown only has the one aisle of books at Wal-mart visiting something like Barnes & Noble(or any bookstore) is part of the vacation for me! Thank goodness for ereaders:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm with you, I always drive myself crazy trying to pack books! I'm actually doing the Disney College Program in Orlando this spring (what a small world, huh?) like your sister, and I'm having so many issues packing books...I can't seem to narrow it down but I'm limited to two suitcases and a carry on for all my stuff! ahhh.

    xo Emily
    http://livingliterate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete