Friday, January 6, 2012

Harry Potter Marathoning!

In my quest to talk about some other aspects of my life other than books, I thought I would talk about my plans for tomorrow-and it is book-related. :) I have to start somewhere, you know?

I love Harry Potter. I didn't dive into the books when they first came out. I only started reading them when I ran out of books to read on a family vacation. I'm kind of glad I did!

Anyway, I really wanted to watch the other movies before the final one came out in July. I ran out of time, and my family went on vacation, so I completely failed on that. ;) It happens, right?

One of my good friends, Kyla, came up with the idea to have a huge marathon and watch all 8 movies as soon as the last one was out on DVD. Tomorrow is the big day! We're starting at noon (after a shopping trip to pick up some food items), and we're going to plow through all 8 movies with break only for eating and bathroom breaks. We're also making butterbeers and some other themed food, so it should be a great time.

I am sure we will be glassy eyed and crazy by the time the last movie is over-and I'll probably sob from exhaustion and emotion-but it'll be a great day. I'm sure I'll be tweeting and such during the marathon as well (it has been a long time since watching a few of the movies!).

Tell me, have you ever done a big movie marathon like this? We once had a Lord of the Rings marathon to watch all the extended editions. It took us over 12 hours!

I'll be back *live* on Sunday with my weekly update, and I'll let you know how it went!

17 comments:

  1. Wow, a marathon to watch ALL 8 Harry Potter movies?! Best of wishes; I'm not sure I could sit still that long! On the other hand, I did do a Lord of the Rings Extended Edition marathon (um, twice), so maybe I'm miscalculating my abilities.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love doing this occasionally. I have an extended edition LOTR marathon with a few friends the day after Christmas nad it was awesome. I watched all the HP movies again before the last one came out, but not all in one day. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did this back in July before the 8th movie came out and had a blast. Reading Harry Potter Page to Screen now so once I'm finished I'll do it all over again with more knowledge this time round! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never done this, but it sounds fun! I don't know if I could handle a marathon like that. I fall asleep during movies all the time. I can barely make it through two hours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in the middle of doing the pathetic version of this - when I was sick at the beginning of the week I watched the first three movies in a row and now I'm watching the fourth and hoping to watch fifth and sixth after work tomorrow and the seventh and eighth on Sunday. We'll see... the only thing is I think it will seriously derail my January reading plans as I can already feel myself craving a mammoth re-read...

    Have an awesome time with your marathon! Themed food sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite movie marathon ever was a "B" movie marathon. A friend needed to get over a breakup, and I rented about 10 bad monster movies -- Godzilla, Mothra, The Blob, Invasion of the Body Snatchers -- and we ate ice cream, drank wine and laughed all day!

    Hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds like so much fun. I hope you make it to the end.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've watched a year's worth of a tv series before in one sitting...True Blood, Dexter, The Closer, etc. I don't watch much tv so when good shows are released on DVD or better yet on Netflix, I'll watch them sometimes. :) I'm usually very tired the next day though :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just added up the hours on those - that's like a 20-hour marathon. Wow! Good luck! It'll be like readathon, except for movies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds awesome! Be sure and post your snack ideas and the butterbeer recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love those marathons! I did one the entire week before the 8th movie with my hubby, so I totally know how fun it is! Drink lots of butterbeer! lol And don't let the kitties get any. hehehe :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is quite a marathon! I watched the final film last night for the first time since seeing it at the cinema, it's definitely one of the better ones.

    Enjoy the films :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. i watched them all last year- but doing a marathon like that would be amazing! If only i had a friend as enthusiastic as me

    ReplyDelete
  14. I once did that with friends for the 4 Lord of the Rings movies (extended version). We were watching them from 11 to 2AM. Great fun!

    Let us know how it you did!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm going to do that this weekend. ALL 8 MOVIES!!!!! Im sooooo excited. It will start at 7:00 PM and probably finish at around 3:00 PM the next day. OH YAH!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm going to do that this weekend. ALL 8 MOVIES!!!!! Im sooooo excited. It will start at 7:00 PM and probably finish at around 3:00 PM the next day. OH YAH!!!

    ReplyDelete