Monday, January 9, 2012

Book 125: The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton and Book Stats.

Title: The Age of Innocence
Author: Edith Wharton (1862-1937)

First Published: 1920
My Edition: Barnes and Noble Classic (seen at right)
Pages: 308 (I own the paper version and a copy on my NookColor, so I will probably switch back and forth).

Other Works Include:The Touchstone (1900), The House of Mirth (1905), Ethan Frome (1911), The Reef (1912), The Custom of the Country (1913), Summer (1917), The Glimpses of the Moon (1922), Old New York (1924), The Gods Arrive (1932), and The Buccaneers (1938)

I was having some difficulty decided on a title to read for book 125. 125 is half of 250, so therefore this book is my halfway point book. Then my husband suggested a pick a few titles and have my readers select the next one. And since Wharton is a favorite of mine, I decided to pick this one as an option.

Secretly, I'm really glad you all voted for this one. I adore Wharton. I know that she can be an acquired taste for some-what with her discussions on society and all-but I love her writing style. Love it. And this is one of the few Wharton titles I haven't read yet! I know!

I have some high expectations for this novel. It won the Pulitzer Prize in 1921, making Edith Wharton the first woman to win the award. THAT is high praise people! I have been saving this one for years, but it seems appropriate to read it now, as a kind of celebration for how far I've come on my little journey. Off I go!

If you are curious, here are the posts for the other Wharton books I have read for this project so far:

Ethan Frome: Book 16 (back before I did my intro posts for books)
The Glimpses of the Moon: Book 51

8 comments:

  1. I'm very envious of you getting to read this book for the first time! I read it in 2010 and would now consider it one of my favourite books. I won't gush any more because if I do I'd be tempted to give things away and I think the book benefits from being read without prior knowledge. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent choice! I read this last year and LOVED it. Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think, when all is said and done, that The House of Mirth is my favorite Wharton - and that's saying something because she's my absolute favorite and can do no wrong with me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad we picked one you wanted to read! I can't wait to read it myself this yeasr, or The House of Mirth. I have read a couple of Wharton's short stories and like you. appreciate her writing style. So quiet and refined. :-)

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love love LOVE this book... enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love The Age of Innocence, I've reread it the past two years and each time it has left me awed. I'm jealous that this is your first time reading it, there's nothing like the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you're celebrating with a favorite author of yours (or, you know, a favorite author's book :D). I never read this one, but it certainly sounds intriguing. I've been trying to choose an award-winning classic for the Back to the Classics Challenge and this might just be it.
    Enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have seriously read this book about ten times. Also seen the movie about five times. I am jealous for you to get to experience it brand-new, although it doesn't lose anything in the re-reading. :)You will just want to punch Newland for being such a dumbass.

    ReplyDelete